LiveArgyll Archives (Records Office) holds and preserves the official records of Argyll and Bute Council along with the records of the organisations whose functions the Council have inherited. Those organisations include; Parish Councils, Burgh Councils and Argyll County Council and Bute County Council. The archives service also holds the records of private businesses, organisations, and families too.
The records we hold tell the story of how Argyll & Bute developed from the Rothesay Charter which dates from 1400 to the meeting reports and agendas used by Argyll & Bute Council today.
We require archives volunteers to be a minimum of 14 years old.
Your time commitment will be:
- committing to weekly morning or afternoon session with the Archives team, ideally for a period of six months or more either on site or assisting remotely
- agreeing with LiveArgyll a regular time and day for you to volunteer to suit your current commitments
Your involvement will be:
- assisting the Archives team in the cleaning and repackaging of records
- writing descriptions of individual records to enable researchers to find the exact records they require
- assisting in the transcription or indexing of records
- quality checking transcriptions
Your opportunity is:
- gaining knowledge on how our local communities developed
- using your skills and knowledge to ensure that our future generations are able to discover the history of our communities and the people with them
- receiving full training on the role of Archives Volunteer
- being part of a team and receive ongoing support from the LiveArgyll Archives team
- gaining an excellent opportunity to enhance your CV by gaining valuable experience of the Archives service
Your training will include:
- a comprehensive induction with on-going training and support will be provided
- training on the handling and use of archive records
The skills we are looking for are:
- good literacy skills and a genuine interest in Archives
- open, warm and friendly communication skills
- reliable and responsible, commitment to volunteering in the service
- organisational skills with a good eye for detail
- being physically able to fulfil the role, lifting and moving boxes holding records
Who should you contact?
If you are interested in the role, or would just like a little bit more information please contact email@example.com